Access to Children Overseas

Access to Children Overseas

1 year ago 0 1047

Is your child overseas?

If you have a child living outside Australia and you are being denied access by the other parent, you may be able to make an application to be granted access. This is done through The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, an international treaty signed by more than 80 Countries. If your child is in country that has signed The Hague Convention, the Convention sets out the procedure for parents seeking access to overseas children and for the return of abducted children. The Convention is administered by the Australian Central Authority of Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department. The first step in being granted access to children overseas, is lodging an application with the Australian Central Authority.

This process can be quite daunting if faced without assistance. Our solicitors would be more than happy to assist you with this stressful process and lodge the application on your behalf.

Egypt and Lebanon

Other than The Hague Convention, Australia has similar agreements with Egypt and Lebanon. The respective agreements act in much the same way as The Hague Convention and will help facilitate the transmission of information and related documents. You will first need to lodge an application with the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department.

Whether your child is in a Hague Convention nation, Egypt, Lebanon or any other country, consult with our solicitors to help ensure access to your child.